Here is my experience with a great sharing I heard at a meeting. It went something like this:
– Sharing: You know, I always come to God with ‘Plan A’ – what I really want.
– My experience: God, I would really like the sexaholic to show me affection the way I think she should.
– Sharing: But I know that God may have something else in mind, so I come prepared with ‘Plan B’ too.
– My experience: OK, God, if I can’t have the affection I want from my wife, could you at least get her to spend more time with me?
– Sharing: What I forget is that God has a much broader point of view than I do, and generally has a ‘Plan C’ – a wonderful plan I could never have dreamed of – tucked away in his back pocket.
– My experience: So what happened was…I got out of my wife’s way, called my S-Anon sponsor and went to a lot more meetings. I stopped being so demanding.
I was able to Let Go and Let God. A few weeks later my wife left me a note saying, “Went to my meeting. Be back soon. I would like to have some time with you. I made a special dinner, please provide the flowers.”
Reprinted from S-Anon’s Reflections of Hope, page 291.